Mice & Murder is the eighth season of Dropout's Dimension 20 and its fourth Side Quest.
It takes place on an alternate Earth where inhabitants are anthropomorphic woodland creatures. It follows a selection of critters who find themselves involved in solving a murder that occurs during the Squire Badger's 60th birthday party on October 4th, 1905.
★ FAQ from Discord ★
- Episode 1: It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
- Episode 2: A Scandal in Britannia
- Episode 3: A Time for Clues
- Episode 4: The Stabber of the Evening
- Episode 5: The Eye of the Storm
- Episode 6: Busted
- Episode 7: I've Been Here the Whole Time
- Episode 8: Outfoxed
- Episode 9: The Belly of the Beast
- Episode 10: Unfinished Business
|Mice & Murder Locations|
|Tufting Meadows||Loam Hall||First Floor||The Entrance Hall | The Ballroom | The Servants' Quarters | The Kitchen | The Elevator | The Dining Room | The Drawing Room | The Study | The Bathroom|
|Second Floor||The Leisure Room | The Séance Room | The Secret Study | The Library | Mrs. Molesly's Bedroom | Squire Badger's Bedroom | The Bathroom | The Dressing Room|
|Other||The Tower | The Basement | The Wine Cellar | The Oubliette|
|Other||Our Lady of Prayerful Paws | The Docks|
|Other||22B Hampstead Street | Reichenbunny Falls|
- The season was filmed in four back-to-back days in October 2020.
- It is the third season to be remotely recorded, but the first to feature a new campaign universe since the COVID-19 quarantine began.
- This season was in development for over a year— one of the last things the cast and crew of Dimension 20 did in person was host a session 0 practice session.
- It originally intended to be the side quest that premiered after A Crown of Candy. Pirates of Leviathan premiered instead with an all-star cast and a more familiar setting to compensate for remote filming circumstances amid the COVID-19 quarantine.
- Since Pre-production on Mice & Murder started before the quarantine, this is the first remotely-recorded season to feature the classic Rick Perry and Co. sets and minis. The season also features Roll20 battle maps, which mirror the physical sets.
- DM Brennan Lee Mulligan filmed in the Dome, while the rest of the players filmed at home with physical colored and backlit backdrops, not greenscreens, like The Unsleeping City: Chapter II. This season was recorded using Riverside, a different, higher-quality recording method than previous seasons.
- Although Brennan was in the Dome, he did not have the physical sets in front of him. Roll20 was used while filming, and director Michael Shaubach went back and recreated both pivotal and mundane moments with the minis to be filmed and edited in.
- The art style seen in the animated season reveal teaser is a direct reference to Edward Gorey's art for PBS's Mystery! intro.
- Ally and Rekha, who both played their first games of D&D on Dimension 20, are the D&D veterans this season— the rest of the cast (except Sam) has never played before!
- The original idea for a season like Mice & Murder was included in the very first pitch document for Dimension 20. After the CollegeHumor layoffs in January 2020, the idea was finally put into fruition to bring back some of the company's actors as players.
- The song is severely edited down to 18 seconds by taking pieces from 5 different spots on the track. Erin Hassidim, Dropout Discord, 8 April 2021: "The intro song is "It's Not a Game" by Philip Ayers, which I somehow edited down to 18 seconds by taking pieces from 5 different spots of the track"
- As with many D&D games, Brennan incorporates many homebrew mechanics and house rules that may not be part of the rules as written.
- Adventuring Party (Season 4), Episode 1: Say Hi, Sylvan Sleuths!
- Grant O'Brien, Dropout Discord, 6 April 2021: [Grant when did you guys film this] "In the summer of last year" Ally Beardsley also posted pictures of their workspace along with their computer screen, which shows their appearance on another season of Dimension 20 on their Instagram on October 11, 2020: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGNS0dCp-W3/?hl=en
- Mice & Murder FAQ, 24 March 2021: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pS9-jYb012vxLbdc_dBaP6i0Sj5NDa0vMe5T9gVHLnk/edit?usp=sharing
- Erin Hassidim, Dropout Discord, 24 March 2021: "They also recorded this season with a different recording method (Riverside) so it's higher quality"
- Erin Hassidim, Dropout Discord, 6 April 2021: "Brennan didn't have the battle set in front of him this season. Instead, they used Roll20 while filming and Schaubach went back and filmed a whole bunch of mini shots for us to add at pivotal (and mundane!) moments."
- Erin Hassidim, Dropout Discord, 17 March 2021: "[Mystery! with the Edward Gorey titlings] is EXACTLY the reference that Brennan gave the artist"
- Erin Hassidim, Dropout Discord, 24 March 2021: "Rekha and Ally are the D20 veterans in this season, and I can't tell you how heartwarming it is to watch them explain D&D to the new players"
- Oren Cohen Interview, 6 April 2021: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsM8QeC4XXM